Today’s objective was to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Oh yes, and to do loads of housework – boring!
I started with a smoothie which I made with:
About 1/3 of a large pot of fat free vanilla yogurt
½ a banana
1 tbsp sunflower butter
I really enjoyed it, although it was a bit sweet which I guess is from the vanilla yogurt. I should stick with natural yogurt. It was a tasty breakfast though and it kept me going until lunchtime. Oh no it didn’t. I had an apple and a coffee mid morning.
Lunch was a large salad but I did not really like the dressing. I made up a salad base with lamb’s lettuce, cherry tomatoes and celery. I added the falafel I had saved from lunch on Monday.
I made a dressing by blitzing about a third of a cucumber with 2 tbsp sunflower seeds in the small blender until pureed. Plus I added some potted ham.
The potted ham was delicious and I preferred eating it in a salad to on toast because I could enjoy the flavour more. So good to know I was enjoying a pork product from a happy pig and that didn’t have any rubbish added.
I adapted the dressing from a recipe I had seen in a book but I really didn’t like it much. I also realised I particularly dislike this brand of falafels and will not eat them again. I will try and make my own next time. But apart from the dressing and the falafel, this was a good lunch.
Harvey’s friend Lucas was round for the day and they had a great time together. We all walked in the woods together but apart from that, they amused each other so I got my chores done.
Supper was a red kidney bean chili with brown basmati rice.
Red Kidney Bean Chili.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, desseded and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- ½ a red chili (more or less, according to spice preference)
- 1 large jar of passata
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 2 ripe apricots
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 level tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pan which has a lid.
- Add onion, garlic, pepper, carrots and celery and fry gently for approximately 10 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Stir in the chili, passata, red kidney beans, apricots, thyme and paprika.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 20 – 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft. Season to taste and serve. I served this with brown basmati rice and Gruyere.
It was tasty. Not amazing but good enough and we both ate it. Harvey had seconds which I could have done but I am trying to eat smaller portions. I hope you noticed how modest the portion was. In case you missed it, here’s another photo, of my half empty bowl 🙂
This would have been a brilliant day for healthy eating, if only I hadn’t snacked on dried fruit and pecans while I cooked supper. Even so, it wasn’t a disaster and I am pleased I ate such a variety of fruits and vegetables. 14 to be precise. 14 different fruits and vegetables. And that is not including the kidney beans. Not so hard is it, to eat a minimum of only 5 a day?