Oh yes, that sun was glorious today and I even got to enjoy some of it. I treated myself to breakfast out.
Technically in as I ate it at my desk but I bought it out rather than take in something I had made from home. A yogurt and granola parfait with fresh fruits. Delicious. With a flat white.
I went out at lunch time. It was wonderful. I really wanted to sit in the sun and drink beer like these lucky folk but I would not have been able to go back and work effectively if I had.
Everywhere you looked people were enjoying the sunshine.
I enjoyed walking round in it and was delighted to find Arabica in the market.
I think they only come on Fridays and I have not patronised them for several weeks so I corrected that today. This smoked aubergine dish is amazing and I could eat it every day. This must be one of the yummiest things I have ever had and every time I buy food from here I choose this salad and I always enjoy it and I did again today.
Unfortunately aubergines are one of the nightshade family of plants, along with tomatoes, peppers and potatoes and they are not macrobiotic. To yin or too yang or too something else. I really like them though so will continue to enjoy them sometimes. I had them twice today. One of the other salads I chose was another aubergine one, this one with caramelised onions and pomegranate molasses. The third was tabouleh. It doesn’t look very appetising but it was wonderful. Served with a flatbread.
I was home before 7pm today and was inspired to cook.
Wholewheat Noodles With Vegetables
Ingredients (serves 3)
- Wholewheat noodles for 3
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, cut in to matchsticks
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 8 brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 corn cob, with the kernels scraped off
- Green leaves (spinach, chard, beetroot leaves)
- 1/4 cup water
- Flageolet beans (optional)
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- Cook the noodles as per the manufacturers instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes until going soft.
- Add the soy sauce and stir.
- Layer the noodles on top then the corn, green leaves and beans.
- Pour in the water and cover with a lid so the vegetables steam gently for 5 minutes.
- Serve with spring onions.
I am beginning to feel really good from sting all these whole grains and veggies. After dinner I spent an hour or so in the garden. Having weeded a space I planted out some little cosmos plants I grew from seed, weeded the veggie beds and a flower bed and watered some seedlings. It was very therapeutic to be outside in the garden and helped me relax away the strains and tensions from the week. I think the beer helped too.
Have a good weekend.