I popped in to a supermarket today to buy a couple of pumpkins so we could carve them. I was surprised they were so cheap. I am astonished that pumpkin farmers make enough money for it to be a viable business.I spent the whole day at home today. I made a smoothie for breakfast out of cashew nut milk (HEX A), spinach, cherries and bananas. It looks grey and unappealing but it tasted fine.I excelled myself at lunch time with a quick and easy, nutritious and delicious salad. 5 boiled salad potatoes, mixed salad leaves, celery, cucumber and tomato with a chick pea salad.In the chick pea salad was obviously chick peas (about half a can), 1 tbsp Vegenaise (4 syns), cornichons, pickled beetroot and sauerkraut.Everything was seasoned with freshly ground black pepper. It was delicious.For supper I made us both a burger.
Red Kidney Bean Burger (served 3 but could have been 4)
- 2 tbsp flax or linseeds, finely ground
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mild smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Add 2 tbsp finely ground flax/linseeds to a small bowl and mix with 3 tbsp water. Set aside
- Open a can of red kidney beans, pour the beans and liquid in to a saucepan and gently heat for a few minutes
- Drain the beans, pour in to a large bowl and mash them.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, paprika, seasoning and flax/linseeds mixture and mix well
- Lightly sprinkle a baking dish with cornflour
- Divide the mixture in to 3 or 4, place each third/quarter on to the baking sheet and shape in to a burger shape.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C for half an hour
I added 2 slices of this Violife “cheese” (3 syns per slice) to each burger and popped it back in to the oven to melt a little.I placed the burgers on a pumpernickel roll and served with ketchup.This was tasty and we both enjoyed it. I should have added green salad leaves but I had none in the fridge and really did not fancy going in to the dark and cold garden to pick any.I made a mistake with the rolls. I have had these pumpernickel rolls several times and they are really delicious but unfortunately they contain milk. So I will not be having them again and I am cross with myself for not reading the ingredients before.
Slimming World Syns and HEX Totals
|Red Kidney Bean Burger|
|Ingredient||Syns for total recipe||Syns for 1 portion (1/3)|
|2 tbsp flax or linseeds, finely ground||6||2|
|1 can of red kidney beans||Free||0|
|2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped||Speed||0|
|1 red pepper, very finely chopped||Speed||0|
|1 tbsp mild smoked paprika||Free||0|
|1 tsp Vegenaise||4|
|2/3 tbsp linseeds||2|
|2 slices Violife||6|
|1 tbsp tomato ketchup||1|
|HEX A||400 ml cashew milk|
|HEX B||1 pumpernickle roll|
My weekly Fitbit stats are good, especially when you consider I have also been swimming and cycling. Today though I only walked about 4,000 steps!
It’s Halloween tomorrow. Have a good one.