Today was so busy I hardly had time to eat which is good in one way but can mean I end up grabbing sugary high carb snacks but thanks to taking to work my own breakfast and having ready made soup for supper I did OK today.
I began with an apple cider and honey in hot water which I am really liking nowadays and a bowl of watermelon. I have enjoyed that watermelon but that was the end of it. For lunch I had a mackerel and rice salad from Pure. I haven’t had smoked mackerel for ages and I really enjoyed it. I was feeling very hungry by the time I got to eat this (mid afternoon) so I added some cooked chicken to make sure I didn’t give in to temptation and pop out for latte and cake. Back at home I had another bowl of that soup. It was really good. Especially with parmesan on top. I do need to share this recipe with you.It took me ages to find the recipe but I got there in the end. It was in the ‘easy slow cooker’ book. I struggled to find it because it was not in the soup section as it was a recipe for a hot pot!
Smoky Bean Hotpot
Ingredients – serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, cut in to 2 cm dice
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped,
- 350ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 x tin of beans ( I used black beans and red kidney beans)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, heat and add the onion and cook for 4 – 5 minutes
- Add the garlic, capers, parsley and paprika and fry for 2 minutes
- Add the celery, carrot, potatoes and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to coat the vegetables in the flavoured oil
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the stock
- Cover with the lid and cook on HIGH for 3 hours until all the vegetables are cooked
- Stir in the beans 1 hour before the end of cooking time.
I have not been eating this all week because I have eaten small portions but because I doubled the portion. We have all really enjoyed this and I will definitely make it again.