I made a pledge today to eat more fruits and vegetables. I wasn’t hungry this morning so breakfast was easy – a pear with 12 g of pistachio nuts (2 WW points). Pears are delicious at this time of year.
I had a banana late morning and for lunch I made a salad from Veg every day!
Courgette and Green Bean Salad with Tahini Dressing (serves 4)
- 1 small or ½ large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp light tahini
- Finely grated zest and juice from ½ a lemon
- Juice of ½ an orange
- ½ tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Put the garlic, tahini, lemon, orange and honey in a small blender and blitz until smooth. If you don’t have a small blender, put the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the olive oil gradually, stirring so it combines with the other ingredients.
- If the dressing is too thick, add some water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Courgette and Green Bean Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil*
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced in to lengths
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 125 g French beans, trimmed
- 4 handfuls of salad leaves
- 12-18 oven dried or fresh cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mint, finely shredded (optional)
* DIET TIP 🙂 If you have a decent cooking brush, you can use a fraction of the amount of oil the recipe calls for. I used less than ½ a tsp oil on 1 courgette by dipping the brush in to the oil and then brushing the oil on to the courgette. I fried them in a ridged pan and added no oil to the pan. The oil I added to the courgette was sufficient to stop them sticking.
- I sliced my courgette lengthways, so they were easier to cook.
- Heat the pan and fry the courgette until tender and slightly browned on both sides.
- When they were cooked, I cut them in to bite sized lengths and transferred them to a bowl with the lemon juice and chilli.
- Cook the beans in a pan of salted boiling water for 1 minute. Then run under cold water, dry and add to the courgettes.
- Put the salad leaves in the serving bowl or on the plate you are eating from, add the courgettes, beans and tomatoes (and mint if using – I didn’t).
- Trickle the tahini dressing over the salad and serve.
I really enjoyed this lunch. I like tahini and by using a small blender, the dressing ended up very smooth and I left it quite thick. It was delicious and worked well with the salad ingredients. Next time I will cook the courgettes a bit longer so they are browner – that would improve the texture.
I had the other half of the orange with it and it was lovely.
Supper was roasted vegetables with some leftover roast chicken. I wash and scrub my vegetables and as I usually buy organic, I don’t need to peel any of them. I just cut the tops off the courgette, aubergine and carrots which I put in the compost bucket. I chopped the vegetables up and put them in a roasting tray with 2 tbsp rapeseed oil and salt and pepper.
I heated the chicken through and dinner was served: roasted aubergine, onion, red potatoes, carrots, courgette and red pepper with chicken, sprinkled with Cayenne pepper for a bit of a kick.
Simple, easy and delicious. I kept my pledge today and intend to do the same again tomorrow.