I have had worse days, that’s for sure. But in the last few months, I have had so many more better days, thank goodness. Allow me to demonstrate what NOT to do when dieting.
NB: I only did this for demonstration purposes, because I care about you all. It actually pained me to behave like this today.
1. Do not think that just because you are not starving hungry it is ok to leave the house without eating in the morning.
2. Do not then go for a very large capuchino because you have realised you are now starving hungry. You do not need a caffeine surge on your empty stomach (but the coffee was lovely, thank you Ann and Ruth).
3. Do not forego a healthy mid morning snack at home because you are going out at 12:30.
4. When 12:30 gets delayed to 1pm, do not forgo a healthy snack at home for the second time that day.
5. Do not think that because food is vegetarian it is healthy or diet friendly.
It may be delicious, ( it was, it was so good) but being so starved by 2pm does NOT, ever, justify stuffing yourself with spinach and ricotta roulade, prawn and rocket wraps, beans on white French bread and 5 mini filo parcels containing brie and cranberries (and no, the cranberries do NOT count as one of your 5 a day). Unless you are slim, like Sarah and Marion who you went out with. Hang on though. They didn’t eat any of that, it was only me. Ooops!
6. Do NOT then eat a slice of carrot cake because you have reminded your starving body of how good food is and it is now desperate to be filled with anything. Carrot cake is not a healthy substitute for raw, roasted, baked or steamed carrots.
7. Do NOT go out with skinny friends like Marion who can eat carrot cake and still stay slim. She can eat it, you can’t.
8. Do not think that just because it is 1 minute past 6 pm and it is Friday, that it is ok to retrieve the very largest wine glass from your cupboard and start chugging back the red wine. Yes, resveratrol, found in red wine, is very healthy (who cares what for but it’s good for something) but that does not justify drinking before eating. A little drink with a meal or even after is ok, but drunk before, when you still haven’t really eaten anything sensible all day, is ridiculous.
This dieting business is hard work 😦
So what else happened today?
I left home on an empty stomach this morning because I wasn’t hungry. I have decided to try and buy all my Christmas presents this year locally, at independent shops and at Christmas fairs. A local school was having a Christmas fair today so I went along. The fair this morning at Saint Ronan’s was fabulous. There were so many wonderful stalls, all laid out in the beautiful ground floor of a stunning building. If you have never been before ( as I hadn’t), look out for the signs next year and go!
Katie Brinsley, has studios down the road and makes some beautiful ceramics. As well as buying products that have been hand made, rather than mass produced in a factory, you can buy something original and chat to the person who made it. So much more pleasant than buying in a High St. chain store. I loved these little jugs.
The lady selling was lovely and very knowledgeable about all the products. She is the 6th generation whose family have been farming this flock. The “R” in the company name is from the shape of their unique shepherd crooks which are different to standard ones as they have to be used occasionally to haul the sheep out of the marshes. The products were lovely and I could have bought all of them.
This was good too – lots of local foodie things.
I can’t show you any other pictures from the fair in case it has a picture in it of a present I bought for you :-).
I had a coffee with Ann and Ruth afterwards and then dashed off to take a photo. I had seen a request for photos to be taken at 11 seconds past the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11 of November 2011. This is the photo I took, which is of the boarded up church in the centre of Hawkhurst. I had wanted a photo of a clock, but couldn’t find one that had the correct time. So I went to the church, thinking I would photograph the tombstones – no tombstones! And then it was 11:11 on 11-11-11 so I had to take a photo. It was very misty this morning, I was not standing next to a heavy smoker.
This evening, apart from the early drinking and nut eating, I did redeem myself as I made a really healthy supper of John Dory and Red Gurnard,