How can a woman run for 2 different trains and miss them both? Well, I ran for the first because I decided at the last minute to bring my own breakfast to work so left home a fraction later than usual. Just as well. Having got to the train and pushed the door opening button only to see the train slide away (always so humiliating!) I remembered I had managed to leave my laptop at home. A costly mistake as I had to give up my free parking space to drive home, get laptop, pay £5 for car park as free car park was full by then and run for another train. Only to miss another one! I eventually got to work at 9 am, over an hour later then usual with a headache, stinging eyes and completely congested – I really did feel dreadful but we are so busy I didn’t want to take a day off sick.
Watermelon and a boiled egg for breakfast.
I didn’t get a break until 3 pm by which time I was starving. I went to EAT and had a cheese sandwich and a small bacon and corn chowder soup.
When I came home, my wonderful daughter had made supper for us. Chicken breasts with Gruyere and mushrooms and roasted tomatoes and peppers.
Chicken Breasts with Gruyere and Mushrooms
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, sliced finely
- 4 medium sized mushrooms, sliced finely
- 4 chicken breasts
- 120 g Gruyere , cut in to slices
- Heat oil in frying pan
- Turn oven on to 180 ° C
- Gently fry onion and mushrooms for about 10 minutes
- Slice a deep pocket in to the long side of the chicken
- Stuff the onions, mushroom and Gruyere in to the pocket in the chicken
- Use cocktail sticks to hold the stuffing inside the chicken
- Gently fry the chicken for a few minutes on each side until slightly browned
- Place the chicken on a baking dish and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
The tomatoes and peppers were roasted in the oven for about half an hour while the chicken was being prepared and cooked. Their sweet juiciness went perfectly with the chicken and mushrooms.
This was delicious. Gruyere goes so well with mushrooms and this whole meal was perfectly cooked.
I could come home to a home cooked dinner more often